Red Cross: The incidence of cholera in Yemen exceeded 300,000

The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) said Monday that more than 300,000 Yemenis had been infected with cholera since the outbreak of the epidemic 10 weeks ago in a health disaster that swept through the impoverished country, which is suffering from civil war, economic collapse and famine.
"We have 300,000 suspected cases and about 7,000 new cases a day," Robert Mardini, the ICRC's regional director for the Middle East, said in a tweet on Twitter.

According to the World Health Organization, by 7 July there were 297,438 cases and 1706 deaths, but did not publish a daily update on Sunday when it appeared to be heading to the level of 300 thousand cases. A spokesman for the organization said that the Yemeni Ministry of Health is still analyzing the figures.

Cholera in other parts of the country has spiked rapidly, although the daily increase in the number of cases has halved to just over 2 percent in the past few weeks and the spread of the disease has slowed in the most affected areas.