UN aims to transfer 6,750 Ethiopians trapped in war-torn Yemen
The UN migration agency said Tuesday it aims to help transfer at least 6,750 Ethiopian migrants from war-torn Yemen to their home country in the coming months. It appealed for $7.5 million to assist their return.
The International Organization for Migration said it has transferred more than 600 migrants, including 60 unaccompanied children, to Ethiopia on three flights so far this year. More flights were planned between Yemen’s southern port city of Aden and the Ethiopian capital of Addis Ababa, it added.
“Migrants transiting through or stranded in Yemen are some of those most affected by the deteriorating humanitarian situation in the country,” said Christa Rottensteiner, IOM’s chief of mission in Yemen.
Yemen’s civil war has not prevented migrants from entering the country, desperate to make their way to neighboring Saudi Arabia to find jobs as housekeepers and construction workers.
Last year, around 27,700 migrants embarked on the arduous journey from the Horn of Africa to Yemen, according to the IOM.
Aden -- Yemen Airways has announced the cancellation of the mandatory round-trip ticket requirement for passengers traveling from Yemen to Saudi Ar…
Aden — Ports under the authority of Yemen’s internationally recognized government have received more than two million metric tons of fu…
Mukalla — Local authorities in Hadramout have announced the inauguration of Yemen’s first solar-powered cement station, a landmark proj…