Tribal fighters attack pro-gov't forces in SE Yemen

An attack launched by tribal fighters targeted a military checkpoint in Yemen's southeastern province of Shabwa early on Wednesday, leaving 6 soldiers killed, a government official told Xinhua.
"A group of tribal fighters attacked a military checkpoint located in Radhum district in Shabwa's southeastern part, killing six soldiers at the scene," the local government official said on condition of anonymity.
He said that "the attack occurred when the anti-government tribesmen refused to establish military checkpoints in their region."
"Tension is escalating between the pro-government forces that came from neighboring Marib province and the local tribesmen of Shabwa," he added.
Local medical workers in the city's sole hospital confirmed to Xinhua that "around 12 soldiers were injured in the clashes with Shabwa's tribesmen."
Sporadic attacks and ambushes are occurring in various areas of the oil-rich Shabwa province after alienating security units loyal to the Southern Transitional Council (STC) last month.
Forces of the Saudi-backed Yemeni government are struggling to secure Shabwa despite the spike of armed attacks in the turbulent province.
The impoverished Arab country has been locked in a civil war since late 2014, when the Houthis overran much of the country and seized all northern provinces including the capital Sanaa.
The Yemeni Houthis claimed on Thursday to have shot down a US drone in western Yemen and attacked US Navy ships in the Red Sea, as Washington escal…
Yemen’s Houthis said a strike they blamed on the United States killed a guard at a communications tower on Thursday, as the Houthi media repo…
The death toll from U.S. airstrikes on Houthi-controlled areas in northern Yemen since March 15 has risen to 61, with 139 others injured, the Houth…