2 Yemenis killed in explosion of Houthi-laid landmine: official

An explosion caused by a landmine struck a motorcycle in Yemen's Red Sea port city of Hodeidah on Sunday, killing two Yemenis, a military official said.
"One of the landmines laid by Houthis previously near the residential areas exploded and killed two innocent citizens in Durayhmi district of Hodeidah," the local military official said on condition of anonymity.
The explosion occurred when the two killed were driving their motorcycle and heading to the public market, the source said.
A team of the explosives experts arrived at the bombing site and began an operation to dismantle Houthi-laid landmines and bombs in the area, the military official added.
Fighters of the Houthi group had previously planted thousands of landmines and improvised explosive devices (IEDs) before their withdrawal from areas along the country's western coast, according to Yemeni government officials.
The landmines and IEDs continue to pose a threat despite the ongoing efforts exerted by the experts of the mine-clearing projects in Yemen.
Previous reports by humanitarian organizations said that Yemen has become one of the largest landmine battlefields in the world since World War II.
US air strikes on Yemen’s Hudaydah City targeted a water management building on Tuesday evening, killing at least three civilians and woundin…
The United States imposed sanctions on Wednesday on Russia-based people and entities working to help procure weapons and commodities - including st…
Suspected U.S. airstrikes battered rebel-controlled areas of Yemen into Wednesday, with the Houthis saying one strike killed at least four people n…