UN envoy: Yemen solution can only be achieved through negotiated political settlement

A durable solution in Yemen can only be achieved through a negotiated political settlement, the UN Special Envoy for Yemen Hans Grundberg said on Thursday.
“A comprehensive negotiated political settlement is needed to end the violence once and for all, restore state institutions, pave the way for economic recovery and development, provide for accountable governance and the rule of law, and protect Yemenis’ human rights,” Grundberg told the UN Security Council.
The envoy condemned the Houthi military escalation in Marib and the surrounding areas and said it “must stop.”
He said that UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres is following developments in Marib’s Abdiyah district closely.
The district been under a Houthi siege since Sept. 23, hindering movement of civilians and impeding humanitarian aid flows, including medical supplies, the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs said earlier this week.
“We reiterate the call on all parties to facilitate safe, timely and sustained humanitarian access to affected areas,” Grundberg said.
The envoy also condemned Sunday’s attack on a convoy carrying the governor of Aden and the Yemeni agriculture minister.
“Attacks like this deepen distrust and undermine efforts towards stability, security, and peace,” he said.
He also welcomed Yemeni Prime Minister Maeen Abdulmalik Saeed’s recent return to Aden and described it as “an important step to enhance state institutions' ability to address urgent economic and basic service delivery.”
“Sustainable improvements won't be possible unless actors work together across political divides,” Grundberg added.
The Yemeni Houthis claimed on Thursday to have shot down a US drone in western Yemen and attacked US Navy ships in the Red Sea, as Washington escal…
Yemen’s Houthis said a strike they blamed on the United States killed a guard at a communications tower on Thursday, as the Houthi media repo…
The death toll from U.S. airstrikes on Houthi-controlled areas in northern Yemen since March 15 has risen to 61, with 139 others injured, the Houth…