Omani delegation departs Yemeni capital after truce talks with Houthis

An Omani delegation has departed Yemen's capital Sanaa after holding talks with the Houthi group over efforts to resume a truce with the Yemeni government, Houthi-run al-Masirah TV reported Monday.
During the four-day visit, the mediators discussed arrangements for "the next round of negotiations, including resuming truce and seeking solutions to the humanitarian issues," said the television, without revealing when a new round of negotiation will be held.
The previous truce, which was brokered by the United Nations, lasted for six months and expired in October last year. However, fightings between Houthi rebels and pro-government forces have largely abated on several frontlines in the absence of a truce.
Last week, UN Special Envoy for Yemen Hans Grundberg said in his briefing to the UN Security Council that "the two sides continue to display a general willingness to seek solutions, but this still needs to be translated into concrete steps, in particular, a clear agreement on the way forward that includes restarting an inclusive Yemeni political process."
The Houthis have been facing increasing pressure as civil servants in Houthi-controlled areas rallied to claim their overdue salaries. The Houthis say their salaries must be paid by the internationally recognized government, which controls the oil resources.
However, the government says the Houthi group should fulfill its commitments in previous UN-sponsored agreements and transfer revenues of the Red Sea Hodeidah port and taxes to the central bank.
Yemen has been mired in a civil war since the Iran-backed Houthi group seized control of several northern provinces and forced the Saudi-backed Yemeni government out of Sanaa.
The war has killed tens of thousands of people and pushed the country to the brink of starvation.
The Yemeni Houthis claimed on Thursday to have shot down a US drone in western Yemen and attacked US Navy ships in the Red Sea, as Washington escal…
Yemen’s Houthis said a strike they blamed on the United States killed a guard at a communications tower on Thursday, as the Houthi media repo…
The death toll from U.S. airstrikes on Houthi-controlled areas in northern Yemen since March 15 has risen to 61, with 139 others injured, the Houth…