US shoots down Houthi drone in latest Red Sea skirmish

The United States shot down a drone fired by Yemen’s Houthi militia toward the Red Sea and destroyed more of its weaponry on Saturday, its military said.
US Central Command (CENTCOM) said in a post on X, formerly Twitter, that on Saturday morning the Houthis launched two drones towards the Red Sea, a commercially vital seaway that the Iranian-backed Houthis have targeted dozens of times in the past four months.
CENTCOM forces “successfully engaged and destroyed one” drone while the other is presumed to have crashed into the Red Sea, the statement said, adding that there were no reports of damage or injuries from ships in the area.
The statement came after the Houthis had earlier claimed a drone attack on a US destroyer in the Red Sea, adding that the strike “achieved its goals.”
Later Saturday night, CENTCOM “destroyed five unmanned surface vessels and one” drone in Houthi-controlled areas of Yemen in “self-defense,” the statement continued.
The flurry of Houthi attacks, including a deadly assault on a bulk carrier last week and the sinking of a ship carrying thousands of tonnes of fertilizer, have triggered reprisal strikes by US and British forces.
Such exchanges have become a frequent occurrence in the area, sending shipping insurance costs soaring and prompting many firms to detour around the southern tip of Africa.
The Houthis say they are targeting Israel-linked shipping as part of an “axis of resistance” of Iran allies and proxies, in protest at Israel’s war against Hamas in the Gaza Strip.
The Yemeni Houthis claimed on Thursday to have shot down a US drone in western Yemen and attacked US Navy ships in the Red Sea, as Washington escal…
Yemen’s Houthis said a strike they blamed on the United States killed a guard at a communications tower on Thursday, as the Houthi media repo…
The death toll from U.S. airstrikes on Houthi-controlled areas in northern Yemen since March 15 has risen to 61, with 139 others injured, the Houth…