European naval force helps free ship seized by pirates

A European naval force in the Middle East helped free a Yemeni fishing boat seized by suspected Somali pirates off the Horn of Africa, authorities said.
The naval force, EUNAVFOR Atalanta, said late on Thursday that the incident remained under investigation. It said the 12 mariners on board were safe and uninjured.
It said the attack that began last week targeted a dhow, a traditional ship that plies the waters of the Mideast off the town of Eyl in Somalia.
“The immediate presence of Atalanta forces in the area, especially the helicopter, was decisive in the fishing vessel liberation,” EUNAVFOR said.
“The crew confirmed that the alleged pirates abandoned the vessel after stealing personal objects and two skiffs belonging to the dhow.”
Piracy off the Somali coast peaked in 2011 when 237 attacks were reported.
Somali piracy in the region at the time cost the world’s economy some $7 billion — with $160 million paid out in ransoms, according to the Oceans Beyond Piracy monitoring group.
The threat was diminished by increased international naval patrols.
The Iraqi government has pledged to restrict the activities of Yemen’s Houthi-aligned government within its borders, confining their operatio…
The United States is increasing the number of aircraft carriers deployed in the Middle East to two, keeping one that is already there and sending a…
US President Donald Trump said Tuesday that he had a positive conversation with Egyptian counterpart Abdel Fattah al-Sisi on issues including Gaza,…