Officer of Yemeni southern forces killed by unknown gunmen in Abyan

An officer of the Yemeni southern forces was killed Friday by unknown gunmen in the turbulent province of Abyan, a government official told Xinhua.
"Gunmen opened fire from assault rifles and killed Abdullah Abdul-Muttalib, a prominent security commander in Mudiyah village of southern Abyan province," the government source said on condition of anonymity.
The armed attack targeted the security officer while he was returning to his house located in Mudiyah, said the official.
Mudiyah, located in the eastern part of Abyan province, is witnessing an increase in armed attacks against security forces loyal to the Southern Transitional Council (STC).
Last month, heavy STC forces were deployed in several areas of Abyan in an attempt to confront any advance by the Saudi-backed Yemeni government forces from neighboring Shabwa province.
In August, the STC forces seized the strategic southern city of Aden and other neighboring main cities including Abyan, following deadly clashes with the government forces.
The Yemeni Houthis claimed on Thursday to have shot down a US drone in western Yemen and attacked US Navy ships in the Red Sea, as Washington escal…
Yemen’s Houthis said a strike they blamed on the United States killed a guard at a communications tower on Thursday, as the Houthi media repo…
The death toll from U.S. airstrikes on Houthi-controlled areas in northern Yemen since March 15 has risen to 61, with 139 others injured, the Houth…