2 children killed, 3 injured in landmine blast in Yemen's Hodeidah

Two Yemeni children were killed and three others injured during a landmine explosion in the country's Red Sea port city of Hodeidah on Sunday, a local military official told Xinhua.
"A landmine previously planted by the Houthi rebels exploded and struck a civilian vehicle in the district of Tuhyata in Hodeidah, leaving two children killed and three others injured," the official said on condition of anonymity.
The explosion hit the civilians' vehicle when they were driving back to their houses through a deserted road, he added.
The Houthi fighters had planted thousands of landmines and improvised explosive devices (IEDs) before their withdrawal from different areas along Yemen's western coast, according to Yemeni government officials.
The landmines and IEDs continue to pose a threat to the civilians despite the ongoing efforts by the experts of the mine-clearing projects in Yemen.
Previous reports by humanitarian organizations said Yemen has become one of the largest landmine battlefields in the world since World War II.
The Yemeni Houthis claimed on Thursday to have shot down a US drone in western Yemen and attacked US Navy ships in the Red Sea, as Washington escal…
Yemen’s Houthis said a strike they blamed on the United States killed a guard at a communications tower on Thursday, as the Houthi media repo…
The death toll from U.S. airstrikes on Houthi-controlled areas in northern Yemen since March 15 has risen to 61, with 139 others injured, the Houth…