Yemen condemns Iran's recognition of Houthi representative

The Yemeni Foreign Ministry on Tuesday strongly condemned Iran's recognition of a representative for the Houthi rebel group and the handover of Yemeni diplomatic headquarters in Tehran.
The move was seen as a "blatant violation of the Charter of the United Nations and the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic and Consular Relations," said a ministry statement, blaming Tehran for "the consequences of this flagrant violation."
The Yemeni ministry said it would take all appropriate legal measures to deal with this shameful Iranian behavior, calling on the international community and the UN Security Council to "condemn this false and irresponsible behavior."
On Aug. 17, the Houthis announced that they had appointed Ibrahim Mohammad al-Dailami as "extraordinary and plenipotentiary ambassador of the Republic of Yemen to the Islamic Republic of Iran."
Earlier in the day, Dailami handed over his credentials to Iranian President Hassan Rouhani, Houthi media reported.
Dailami is a Houthi leader and a member of the political bureau of the militant group.
In October 2015, the internationally-recognized government of Yemeni President Abd Rabbu Mansour Hadi announced the severance of all diplomatic ties and political relations with Iran.
The Yemeni government repeatedly accuses Tehran of meddling in Yemen and supporting the Houthi rebel group.
The Houthis have been controlling the Yemeni capital Sanaa and several other northern provinces since September 2014.
The Yemeni Houthis claimed on Thursday to have shot down a US drone in western Yemen and attacked US Navy ships in the Red Sea, as Washington escal…
Yemen’s Houthis said a strike they blamed on the United States killed a guard at a communications tower on Thursday, as the Houthi media repo…
The death toll from U.S. airstrikes on Houthi-controlled areas in northern Yemen since March 15 has risen to 61, with 139 others injured, the Houth…