Yemeni Information Minister Accuses Iran of Pushing Houthis Towards Military Escalation

Moammar al-Eryani, the internationally recognized Yemeni government’s information minister, warned on Friday that the “mullah regime” in Iran continues to disrupt Yemen’s political process and seeks a flare-up, the price of which is being payed by civilians.
“Iran is pushing the situation in Yemen towards a military escalation with an aim to settle scores with regional countries and the world, mainly the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, and to enforce its destructive agenda in the entire region,” the minister was quoted as saying by the Yemeni news agency, Saba.
Eryani said the Houthi military escalation in Yemen, since the killing of Iran’s Quds Force Commader Qassem Soleimani in Baghdad last month, is a clear indication on the Iranian role in fueling the conflict in Yemen.
The minister called on the international community and the permanent members of the United Nations Security Council to take firm stances towards the Iranian interference in Yemeni and regional affairs, and towards the Houthi terrorist activities in the country.
“Iran’s meddling in Yemen led to the termination of the political process in the country, and to continued bloodshed and suffering of the Yemeni people,” he said.
On Thursday, the Security Council voiced serious concern over the significant escalation of violence in Nehm and Jawf, Yemen, and its impact on civilians, thousands of whom have been displaced in recent days.
In a press statement, Council members called for an "immediate cessation" of hostilities.
The text said it was necessary to maintain a ceasefire in the western city of Hodeidah, as per a landmark agreement signed in Sweden in December 2018.
The Yemeni Houthis claimed on Thursday to have shot down a US drone in western Yemen and attacked US Navy ships in the Red Sea, as Washington escal…
Yemen’s Houthis said a strike they blamed on the United States killed a guard at a communications tower on Thursday, as the Houthi media repo…
The death toll from U.S. airstrikes on Houthi-controlled areas in northern Yemen since March 15 has risen to 61, with 139 others injured, the Houth…