Clashes erupt between govt forces, Houthis southern Yemen

Fighting flared between Yemeni government forces and Houthi fighters in the southern province of Lahj on Tuesday evening, a military official said.
The clashes occurred in the Musaymir area after government forces repelled a Houthi infiltration attempt, the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity. He added that three Houthi fighters were killed and five others wounded.
A field commander with pro-government forces said the Houthis had been reinforcing their positions. "They have blown up small bridges, planted various types of mines, and dug new underground trenches," the commander said, adding that the group had also established roadblocks on the outskirts of Lahj province.
The commander said these preparations suggested the Houthis were anticipating a potential government offensive in the coming days.
Yemen has been in a state of uneasy calm since Oct 2, 2022, when the government and the Houthi group failed to renew and expand a UN-brokered truce.
Despite years of diplomatic efforts, neither side has shown a willingness to resume negotiations to end the conflict, which the UN estimates has killed hundreds of thousands of people and pushed millions to the brink of famine.
The Yemeni Houthis claimed on Thursday to have shot down a US drone in western Yemen and attacked US Navy ships in the Red Sea, as Washington escal…
Yemen’s Houthis said a strike they blamed on the United States killed a guard at a communications tower on Thursday, as the Houthi media repo…
The death toll from U.S. airstrikes on Houthi-controlled areas in northern Yemen since March 15 has risen to 61, with 139 others injured, the Houth…