Yemen's national airline will suspend the only international commercial flight from Yemen's capital, Sanaa, in response to the Houthi administration blocking the carrier from withdrawing its funds in Sanaa banks, four company executives, speaking on condition of anonymity, told Reuters.
Yemenia will halt six weekly flights to Jordan in October, the company officials said, after negotiations with the Houthis failed to secure the release of airline funds which executives at the carrier said amounted to $80 million.
Yemenia had proposed the Houthi administration take 70% of the funds while the remaining 30% would go to the internationally recognized government, the sources said.
The Houthi administration rejected the offer which was when the airline decided to suspend flights to Jordan, they added.
Yemenia said in a statement that it had been unable to withdraw its funds in Sanaa banks for several months and called on the Houthi authorities to lift restrictions "illegally" imposed on its assets.
Reuters could not reach the Houthi Ministry of Transport for comment.
Yemenia resumed flights from Sanaa to Amman, Jordan's capital, in April 2022.
The Houthis, aligned with Iran, ousted a Saudi-backed government from Sanaa in late 2014, and have de facto control of north Yemen, including Sanaa.
An attack on an American warship and commercial vessels in the Red Sea on Sunday risks reigniting investor worries about a widening of the war betw…
A US Navy warship has captured armed men who seized an Israeli-linked tanker off the coast of Yemen on Sunday, US defence officials say. Th…
A container ship owned by an Israeli billionaire came under attack by a suspected Iranian drone in the Indian Ocean as Israel wages war on Hamas in…