Senators plan another push to restrict U.S. role in Yemen war

Lawmakers are gearing up for their second attempt to pass a bill that would end U.S. support for the Saudi-led coalition fighting in Yemen’s brutal civil war.
After a similar House-backed bill hit a procedural snag earlier this week, Democratic Sens. Bernard Sanders of Vermont and Chris Murphy of Connecticut and Republican Sen. Mike Lee of Utah said they are planning to reintroduce their version of the legislation next week, senior Democratic aides tell The Washington Times.
“The U.S. Senate will have an opportunity to vote to end our unauthorized and unconstitutional involvement in the war in Yemen,” Mr. Lee said.
The measure, which was introduced in the dying days for the previous Congress last year amid sharp criticism of de facto Saudi leader Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, challenged the Trump administration’s relations with Riyadh in the wake of the killing of dissident U.S.-based Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi by Saudi agents in October. Despite receiving bipartisan support, it never saw a House vote.
The latest push closely follows a surprise decision by the Senate parliamentarian that the bill did not have the “privileged” status that would have forced a Senate debate and up-and-down vote by a simple majority.
AFP.
The Pentagon has announced that recent US airstrikes in Yemen successfully targeted and eliminated key Houthi leaders.  These strikes…
Israeli Army Radio on Saturday said two ballistic missiles were launched from Yemen overnight and Saturday morning, claiming both projectiles fell…
The United States has conducted targeted raids on Houthi-controlled weapons depots located in Kahlan camp, east of Saada.  These strik…