Yemen coalition welcomes removal from UN child war zone list

The Arab coalition in Yemen has welcomed a decision by the UN secretary-general to remove the alliance from a list in an annual report on children in war zones.
The coalition, which includes Saudi Arabia, also asked the UN to share with it details of any allegations of violations against civilians and children in Yemen.
“The members of the Coalition to Support Legitimacy in Yemen welcome the decision by the secretary-general to remove the coalition from the annexes of his report on children and armed conflict,” the coalition said.
“The long-due decision recognizes the coalition's unwavering commitment to protecting all civilians in armed conflict — especially children — and the preventative and protective measures the coalition has taken to strengthen the protection of children in Yemen.”
The statement said the coalition had set up a child protection unit and helped reunite with their families child soldiers recruited by the Houthi militia.
The coalition intervened in the Yemen conflict in 2015 in support of the internationally recognized government, which had been driven from the capital Sanaa by the Iran backed Houthis.
The Yemeni Houthis claimed on Thursday to have shot down a US drone in western Yemen and attacked US Navy ships in the Red Sea, as Washington escal…
Yemen’s Houthis said a strike they blamed on the United States killed a guard at a communications tower on Thursday, as the Houthi media repo…
The death toll from U.S. airstrikes on Houthi-controlled areas in northern Yemen since March 15 has risen to 61, with 139 others injured, the Houth…